Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Afterglow

Well it's over now-- and it was grand. Weeks of effort - shopping, wrapping, cooking, cleaning are the seeds, and the 2 or 3 days of concentrated family times and a lifetime of memories are the harvest.

Things got really busy just before Christmas eve and with the gentle reminding of hubby I resisted getting worked up about the stuff that simply did not get done -- even though that "thing" ended up being the cleaning. Yikes. I just camouflaged the dust and dirt and hid the clutter as I repeated the mantra "focus on what is really important". Low lighting helped too.

Christmas Eve at hubby's parents was a great kick start. My MIH loves Christmas and embodies the very best part of the season -- colour, generosity, family, love abundance. We left there with contented with full bellies and sore cheeks from smiling. Their Shar-Pei was a big reason for the smiles!

Christmas morning was magical ... hubby and I were up before the kids. The times definitely are a' changing! There is a sacred space of time just before the world awakens, the house is quiet and lit only by the Christmas tree, in which there is utter peace. I love that and claim that special time as my own.

In spite of our vow to cut back on materialism, the tree bulged with gifts. There was a distinct difference though ... the gifts were more thoughtful and meaningful - evidenced by wide smiles, misty eyes and hugs. I parted with two of my most precious possessions; I gave eldest daughter a gold locket that was bought as a gift when my mother was born 69 years ago. She is my mother's namesake and I knew she would treasure it. Middle daughter received my 1942 edition of Anne of Green Gables that had been my mother's. My way of giving while I live ....

The feast -- Hubby took on turkey duty and wowed us with the results of his constant coddling and basting of the bird. The lemons, oranges, apples and onions didn't hurt either. The chatter was animated, constant and loud. I often wonder how food even gets eaten in our family -- as the din never ceases!

At the end of the day, the pots were piled high, the house was littered with food remnants, and half empty wine glasses, and hubby and I were exhausted. At the end of the day we all agreed that it was one of the best Christmas' ever -although we say that every year. Kidlet gave me keeper moment when she spontaneously wrapped her arms around me and told me she was happier than she has been in a really long time.

At the end of the day, it was grand. And I am still basking in the afterglow of Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Those gifts mean more than anything. My grandmother passed down her sewing machine to me this year for Christmas. I cried. It meant so much more than the new things I received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. It is heartwarming that you appreciate those gifts that are sentimental and nice that you received one this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete