Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Let it snow ...



Today I woke up to a fresh white blanket of snow. Perfect! Things are really coming together for a perfect white Christmas. While everyone around us have been shovelling the stuff for weeks, my little town somehow dodged the snowfalls, leaving a very bleak, gray landscape. Not now!

My hubby didn't share my enthusiasm at 6:15 am this morning as he donned his touque and shovel ... however he did clean off and start my car for me so he obviously has the Christmas spirit in there somewhere ...

For some reason Canadians forget how to drive in the snow over the summer. Even though the snowploughs had already cleared the highways, cars were chugging along at a snail's pace as if they were terrified, braking every few seconds as if to test that the brakes do in fact work. Ugh! i tried not to get impatient and instead found a radio station with Christmas music and sang my little heart out all the way to work, waving happily to the truck drivers as I sailed past them. Corny - I know. And another thing I know is that I need driving glasses. As my optometrist predicted, these "aging" eyes can no longer see the white lines on the highway if it is dark and rainy. I rely on lights on the cars in front of me and hope they know where the heck they are going. And the drive isn't going to get easier as the winter progresses. So an eye exam is on my "to do" list!

Getting back to Christmas ... the parents arrived last night from Florida and I stopped in on my way home from work. We opened a bottle of wine and sat back to catch up on the last few months. It wasn't long before little sister stopped in too. Another bottle of wine! As we sat gathered around the coffee table munching and chatting (and sipping) I got that warm glow in my tummy that signals absolute contentment. Life is indeed good.

And today is my company's Christmas luncheon ... another bead on the Christmas string. So for now -- at this very moment -- all is calm and all is white!

No comments:

Post a Comment