Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hodge Podge Day

Today I was able to roll out of bed, make coffee and work in my PJs. Yup! I worked from home. And quite coincidentally, I picked a perfect day to do it. Today was a snow day - schools closed, Kidlet home, hubby shovelling - you get the picture. And luckily - no commute for me! I worked on my business plan in my very messy office/spare bedroom/storage closet with my schnauzer on my feet. All of this cold weather and comfort food had me craving fruits and veggies. Inspired by a picture of a scrumptious salad that I spotted on Country Girl's blog, it had me rummaging through the fridge in search of salad fixings. The very nature of the berry, spinach salad is a contradiction to the stark bareness of winter. If I can't be in the tropics - I can at least get a taste!

Burned the toasted almonds darn it!

Much better! And the wait was worth the end result...

I have noticed signs of strain on people's faces alot lately. I think the winter is getting to us all just a little bit and we could all use a heavenly dose of heat and sunshine. A respite from winter. I suppose I was looking for that in my summer salad and you know what - it cheered me up and lifted my spirits as only a good meal can do. It was a hodge podge day - mixed and strange. Fritz wouldn't venture out until his runway was cleared of snow; hubby couldn't walk him far because the forest is impassable; Kidlet was climbing the walls with cabin fever (making us - in turn - climb the walls) and the day lacked its usual routine. And that was not a bad thing -- just different. Fritz is poking at me to go to bed (he is a dog of routine)and I have said all that I have to share. So here's to another cosy snow day - that helps us navigate our long Canadian winter.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I do read your blog, Lyn. I like it ... I sent you a few emails too, but I don't know if you've seen them ...
    cuz

    ReplyDelete