Thursday, January 29, 2009

Unravelled

Today was one of those days in which things were unravelling from the get go ...

It was a comedy of errors, mishaps, moments and trying situations. The day started with me ramming my Benzie through the 3 ft wall the snow plough left at the end of the driveway. I rammed it slowly so I could keep my muffler! The commute to work felt like a NASCAR event or should I say a Monster Truck event. I crossed myself and said three Hail Marys - and I'm not even Catholic. I went through the Tim Horton's drive thru and as I was reaching for my Tim's card, it slipped out of my hands and fell between the seat and console. I grabbed for my wallet which was in my purse, in my book bag - which was in the back seat. The clerk smiled politely and I smiled back through gritted teeth as I rummaged under pressure - a lineup of cranky cars waiting for their caffeine fixes.

When I say that we are all in need of some sunshine, I am not kidding. Spirits are in need of uplifting. Optimism is withering and people just seem generally downtrodden. What to do?
There are alot of cranky people at the office and there also seem to be many who are discouraged and frustrated. Surely it cannot all be chalked up to the dismal long winter - but what is the cure? It feels like things are generally unravelling.

Tonight I ended the day on a good note. I had dinner with my two amigos to celebrate the little one's 51st birthday. A year ago we were all on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands for her 50th. Corny - but I can hardly believe that a year has passed already. It reminds me how fleeting our time is in this earthly life and that each day must truly be valued as a gift. As sappy as that may sound, I can attest that when my mom received a new lease on life with the gift of a transplanted lung, each breath she took was a gift, and each day lived was a bonus to her. She reminded me to live and love each day fully.

And that is why I end each night blogging. It causes me to pause and reflect - and find the gift in each day. I think I found it today. There are dark days to help us appreciate the sunny ones; and special people all around us to remind us that we matter.

Good night - and good day - tomorrow (please?).

3 comments:

  1. I miss Tim Horton's- i will say Starbucks isn't anything like Tim Horton's.

    I too had one of those days that unravelled from the beginning. Here's to a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some fine photos to illustrate the mood of your day. I hope tomorrow, next week, next month.. etc will be far better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a suggestion that works for us at home and in the office - put in an ABBA cd for a few minutes at break time and dance! No, I am not a fan ... but there is something about that particular music that makes us all smile and we all seem to move to it - even the guys!
    Sounds corny, but we can't be cranky when we are dancing! Here, any suggestion is a good one on a grey and stressful day ...
    cuz

    ReplyDelete