Monday, February 9, 2009

Birthday Song for a Trio

February 9th is a very meaningful day for me and the women in my family. You see my mother, sister and I all had babies on February 9th. My other sister shares her birthday with Kidlet and nephew. Needless to say we have much to celebrate and we eat alot of cake!

Today is Kidlet's 17th birthday. She was a complete surprise, a spontaneous bombshell to her father who would only believe I was truly pregnant AFTER I saw a doctor. Having already birthed two daughters, this pregnancy felt different some how. Baby was super active, determined and thankfully allowed me the luxury of keeping my overall shape from behind - hanging nicely out front like a basketball. There wasn't alot of morning sickness, no double chins or swelling -- I was convinced this one was a boy. Hence I routinely referred to baby as Jake.

I wasn't sure what I would do with a boy -- my sister had one and I was mystified by all that baby projectile peeing stuff. Even though I have a younger brother I feel that our household was one of women and girls. My grandmother and aunt (she was only 6 years older) lived with us, and I was surrounded by sisters, aunts and now - daughters.

I chose a colour of the sky for Jake's room and counted down the days to his arrival. Two weeks before his birth, I had a dream in which my baby spoke to me (telepathically, without moving its lips hey- it was a dream!). She told me that she was happy she picked us and couldn't wait to be born. In turn I blurted out "you're a girl!" and her mouth turned up at the corners ever so slightly into a smile. When I awoke I remembered the dream and began a fast and furious search for a girl's name. Baby's dad was confused .... "but you said it was a boy!"

My due date was February 6th. I hedged my bet on the possibility that baby could be born on my sister's birthday. I found a name that started with the first three letters of my sister's name and one that means "dark" in Gaelic. When I went into labour early in the morning of February 8th I was convinced she would have her own birthday. Stubborn as she was, reluctant to leave the comfort of her own womb, she was properly yanked and made her debut in the wee early morning of February 9th. I gained instant membership to a very exclusive sorority (or should I say morority).



My dark little Kidlet was an unexpected pregnancy gift - a precious treasure (as I call all of my girls). She united a family and showed her father the endless depths of his love. She gave me a rare opportunity to parent mindfully and creatively and to be a better parent than I had ever been. She tested my devotion and challenged me to make the difficult choices ... She has brought endless laughter and joy to our family and made her parents proud with not only her achievements, but her way of looking at the world.

I have the common complaint of all mothers ... where did the years go? What happened to that little cherub faced, mischievous little girl with high tops and a baseball cap askew?


Today she is on the cusp of womanhood and will soon be facing important decisions about her future. But for one more day, let her be a carefree teenager, full of hope and optimism. Let me hold on to this, my baby's birthday and just for a moment, let me glimpse into those same chocolate pudding eyes as she blows out her candles.

Happy Birthday Sis.

Happy Birthday Nephew.

Happy Birthday Kidlet.

Feel the hugs.

3 comments:

  1. A lot of happy happy birthdays. What a wonderful time for your family this time of year must be.
    PS - I tagged you (again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes for my fam. It's a crazy busy time for all of us - swapping birth stories! : )

    ReplyDelete