Saturday, February 21, 2009

Crazy Sushi Night


Kidlet and Hubby went out for dinner the other night - Kidlet's choice. She picked a sushi place and even though we all don't eat raw fish, we counted on the fact there would be teriyaki and the usual tempura goodies. We must have all been overtired or something because we were giddy and silly from the get-go. It was crazy. The menu - being as unclear as it was - seemed to be overly expensive for Japanese, everything a la carte. I was complaining that we could have gone to another smaller place I know where the food was half the price and included all the courses.

Once we resigned ourselves to prices we set about supplementing the entree with the treats we love. The server talked Hubby into a really delicious BIG bowl of won ton soup and I ordered tempura on top of my meal. Kidlet ordered sushi in addition to her teriyaki chicken.


I almost died when the server came back with miso soup and appetizers for everyone. Yikes. Then hubby's mixing bowl of soup arrived along with a platter of sushi and another platter of tempura. I tried to hide my embarassment, nodding happily as she put the food down in front of us. There was enough food for 6 people -- and the entrees hadn't even arrived yet. Kidlet and I broke into fits of giggles and it worsened watching hubby's face contort at the first spoonful of soup. I wish I had had my camera with me -- oh I did -- just can't show his face! It was miso soup thinly disguised as won ton soup. more giggling and even a snort from Kidlet...


The best part was watching hubby try to politely swallow the won tons so he wouldn't hurt the server's feelings. my sides were splitting. We all relaxed when we realized we could just get the soup to go - no pressure. I can't remember the last time we were all together out having fun. Copious amounts of food; even more laughter and silliness. But then again, they don't call it Crazy Sushi for nothin'!

2 comments:

  1. Pictures smack of art, rather then food... never been close enough to any sushi to sample ... sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to watch those Sushi places- they're tricky like that.

    the pictures are great- my favorite is the smiley face.

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete