Monday, February 16, 2009

The Wall

There are times when it seems that there is a wall - an invisible barrier between me and the person I am trying to communicate with. Words bounce off the barrier and return to me message unopened. Tonight the barrier sits planted firmly between Kidlet and I. We are (trying) to discuss her course selection. She says "hurry up - I'm listening - say what you need to say". I say, "turn off that computer and carve some talk time with me". She rolls her eyes. I sigh heavily and tell her I don't like her attitude. More rolling of the eyes and frustration in her clearly mounts. (OK, it's mounting in me too!) We are both tired, frustrated, and a little more than slightly exasperated with one another.

It's definitely a good night to take a time out. When we hit the wall, it's better to regroup, call it a night, and start over with a new day. Sad thing is, I miss the simpler times when talking was easy. But as I have learned, this is all part of raising teenagers, and as with all things, this too shall pass. Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy do I remember days like this with my mother...

    Take comfort in the fact that the teenage days of resenting parental authority fly by quickly. After they are gone we children crave nothing more than the advice and assurance of our parents. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie. Parental authority collides with teenaged assertion of independence. It can be ugly - but necessary. Hope things are going well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing fine...I haven't had much time to post anything for a while. I've been packing every bit of time into spending time with Kyle. I should have something up in the near future though. =]

    ReplyDelete