Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hola Life-Changing Moments

Kidlet emailed her "parentals" from Costa Rica. It was one that I had been eagerly anticipating. Was she safe? Did she like it? Was it everything she had hoped it would be?

The email wreaked of wide eyed wonderment and overwhelming appreciation - not only for the fact that she is privileged to have the experience, but for the place and people she is encountering.

I can't believe we are really here!
last night the full moon looked incredible
... for now I am just trying to take it all in

When she first came home with the idea of the Costa Rica cultural trip we both agreed that it would probably be life changing for her. How many teenagers get to have life changing experiences so readily at their disposal? (Remembering the Leadership Academy from last summer). The night before she left she told me that I would miss her. I was cranky so I vehemently denied it. But now, one glance at her running shoes by the door - her not in them - caused a large lump to grow in my throat. Darn! She was right. She is having her life changing experience and I am having my own - a glimpse into my not to far off future when Kidlet leaves home for university.

Geesh, why aren't those shoes in the closet where they belong!?

2 comments:

  1. Shoes.. I used to think I had a centipede for a daughter, the way I was always finding her various footwear in odd places... Bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm not even there and I got a lump in my throat. My time will come all too soon :(

    Good for both of you!
    cuz

    ReplyDelete