Monday, March 30, 2009

Standing Ovation

This past weekend my middle daughter made her directorial debut - directing a theatrical reading as part of a playwright festival. Theatre has been a part of her life since high school and she has had many roles -- actor, stage manager, even costumes - and now director. Her fan club - members of the various branches of the family - turned up in support and admiration.

My diminutive, Converse sneaker-wearing daughter who looks like a teenager instead of the twenty four year old she is - came out to greet us when we arrived. Grinning from ear to ear, glasses handily perched on her perky little nose, her appearance disguises the staunch determination and authority she wears close to the skin. Watching the actors on stage reading their parts, recognizing daughter's creative signature on the production and finally, witnessing her in action during the post show talk back session, I could barely contain my pride and admiration for her. Standing ovation! Ok, it wasn't appropriate at the time, but if I could've - I would've!

I admit it ... moments such as these - milestones being reached - are a privilege to witness. It is a universal hope that parents hold - that their children will dare to dream - and then fulfill those dreams. This is a sweet place I'm in, and the view is spectacular. My heart is warmed by the sight of my daughters finding their way in the world, one by one. Life is good, and I am definitely a proud Mama Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment