Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Beat the Clock on Commuter Day

I don't know how people do it. Hats off to the thousands of people who make the trek in from the suburbs to the city every day. I caught the 7:25 am train this morning into the city to attend a trade show. The minute I leaped out of bed, I felt like I was living an episode of Beat the Clock.

Shower, blow dry, dress. Pack my bag. I knew it was going to be a long day when I told hubby I didn't need my keys cause I was taking the train. He looked at me oddly and said, "aren't you driving to the train?" tick tock Race to car -then back to the house for my Blackberry. tick tock Drive to the station and hunt for a parking spot close enough that doesn't require a bus ride to the station. Run to the station and buy my ticket. Check the time. tick tock Find a seat on the waiting train. Yay Train doors open at my destination and the rushing throngs of the masses moves me along. Off the train and down the stairs which I can't see -under my feet, the people river rushes. It's flowing right and I need to go left. tick tock Time enough to satisfy my caffeine fix. Twenty minutes later I arrive at my destination. I am beat and the day has just begun. Beat the clock? Maybe. But the commute beat me!

Makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to have the job I do - in the place that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment