Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Detours

I awoke this morning to a thick crust of frost on the car and a light dusting of snow on the tree branches. I think winter took a detour on its way out of town ... We didn't fare as badly as other cities though, that I think had to go in search of shovels. I had to laugh at my brother's Facebook status today ... HB is thinking of taking the dogsled home tonight.

Africa may not happen this year. Kidlet said there is just not enough time for the students to raise the 5K each to make the trip this July. They are holding out hope for next summer - which would give them plenty of time to fundraise.

Now that Africa has gotten under my skin, I think I may try to find another way to get there. I now know that I want a cultural experience; a personal exchange. Sure - I want to see the wildlife and the breathtaking vistas and landscape, but even more than that, I am interested in experiencing the essence of Africa - the heart and soul of the continent - and that can only happen by experiencing the people who live on that land. Humanity. I have a passion to learn and absorb their stories.

Just like the adage says, where there is a will there is a way. I know I will find a way ... there just may be a few detours. And that is what makes life so interesting ...

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully put. As the saying goes, I'd kill for a trip like that. Kentucky is so drab. I can't wait until I can afford to travel...

    ReplyDelete