Sunday, April 19, 2009

Living Until We Die

I'm down half a box of Kleenex after watching the documentary film, Young at Heart. The film is the true story of the final weeks of rehearsal for the Young at Heart Chorus in Massachusetts. The average age in this white haired choir is 81, many of them with health problems to overcome in order to participate. They perform contemporary, rock music - unexpected for their age group. The images of their determined faces as they struggled to remember unfamiliar lyrics and complicated rhythms hooked me in. Their zeal for life and love of music translated into pure joy in their performances as they move their bodies to the music. Secrets to a long and quality life ... they all echoed the same thought -- that if you don't use it- you lose it. When they lose two members of their chorus within a week, fear and shock ridden faces aside, they soldier on ... their stark reality.

I can't remember when I have laughed, cried, reflected and derived such a heart full of love all from one film. Maybe I replaced the faces of the elderly with loved ones of my own, or maybe I am reminded of my own mortality. One thing is for certain, the movie shows our elders as human beings with desires, hopes and energy for life that are shared by the young. We are reminded that they are more than their ages, their fading memories, crinkly skin and ailments. They are lovers, mothers, fathers and friends - and willing participants in life. Their eyes are their archives, storing and reflecting the sum total of all the experiences and emotions of their lives. They wear a cloak of peace and knowing that comes from surviving and thriving for decades.

For a society obsessed with youth, the message is clear, the dance isn't over for these folks - and they will keep on singing, dancing and living - until they can no longer. When I grow up, I want to be just like them. I want to die living.... Now if only I could carry a tune!

-----------------
Lyrics to the pop songs they sing, like Forever Young, Fix You and I Wanna Be Sedated take on new meaning.
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As you'd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you'll always stay
Forever young, forever young
And when you finally fly away
Ill be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell
But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose
Forever young, forever young.

No comments:

Post a Comment