Thursday, April 2, 2009

Welcome Signs

Today the sun came out, the temperatures climbed and you could go outside without a jacket. The first time you can be out without cumbersome clothing signals the true arrival of spring. I took a late afternoon walk to stretch my legs and test the waters - no coat. My overcautious, Canadian, afraid-to-believe it attitude loosened with every step and breath. She's really here. All around me were the signs ... tender shoots poking up through the soil, lovebirds at the bus stop, a lady in a pencil skirt leaned up against her office building dragging leisurely on her cigarette , the sudden outburst of road construction and more people sipping their coffees outside the Tim Hortons than inside. We are crawling out of hibernation, shedding our groggy cocoons to embrace the fresh air and promise of renewal.

I have tomorrow off so my weekend starts tonight. I can't wait for a full weekend basking in the optimism of the season of new beginnings. Rain or shine ... it's going to be a great weekend; a new day.


2 comments:

  1. The couple at the bus stop seem to think Spring is in the air... that season when a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the imagery of "crawling out of hibernation, shedding our groggy cocoons"- that's exactly what it feel like. Here in Texas we get teased for the entire month of March it seems. It will be warm one week and cold the next- finally it seems we are getting some consistent cold. There is nothing more relaxing than basking in the warm sunlight and enjoying some Tim Hortons (not a luxury I'm afforded here in Texas.)

    ReplyDelete