Friday, April 17, 2009

What Else Are We Missing Out On?


She is the top "trending topic" on Twitter and she is popping up all over the Internet and TV. She dreamed a dream - and it came true. Ask anyone who has viewed the You Tube video of Susan Boyle singing on Britain's Got Talent, and they will probably say they were moved to tears. I have watched the video many times over the past week - alone and with other people - and I admit my eyes welled up to overflowing almost every time I saw it.

I thought I was crying because I was witnessing someone extraordinary realizing a lifelong dream. I thought I was moved by the unexpected. But after soul searching this one, I think I discovered that I was was crying because I was ashamed - not so much personally - but on more of a societal level. Have we become so shallow and obsessed with packaging over substance that we discount and overlook anything - anyone - not deemed beautiful? Very telling.

This woman with her bushy eyebrows, unfashionable attire and winning smile had the gumption to walk boldly on stage - apparently unaware of the unspoken code - and share her gift.

At that moment she exposed us all. The hauntingly angelic strains were in stark contrast from the packaging of the person singing them. Why is it so unexpected? Do we think only beauty begets beauty? The more I heard her speak with her gentle spirit, humility, and simple authenticity, the more beautiful she became.

If we don't see past the superficial, thin veneers, it makes me wonder what else we are missing out on.

I've heard God works through people. I think that if Susan Boyle had no greater purpose in life than those few minutes which millions around the planet witnessed one of life's most powerful lessons - that would be enough. She is angel with a message - and an angelic voice - not to be missed.
Beauty pleases the eyes only;
Sweetness of disposition charms the soul
~Voltaire

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Beauty comes from within and once allowed to shine, it overpowers the preference society places on 'the pretty people'. Good on her! Sing it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the first, and probably won't be the last to appreaciate the difference between inner beauty and the outer, shallow variety that so many pay lip service to; I concur - this woman personified that inner beauty to an extraordinary degree. The interesting thing will be to see what the effect this sudden recognition will have on her life, let a lone her character...

    ReplyDelete