Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rainbow Disconnection

How utterly disappointing ... the ruling by the California Supreme Court to uphold Proposition 8 - outlawing same sex marriages. How generous (dripping sarcasm) of them not to dissolve the unions of the more than 18,000 gay and lesbian couples who wed before Prop 8 took effect. I thought as a society we had moved past this ... I held the optimistic glimmer of hope that same sex marriages would once and for all be accepted and that the snowball of societal evolution would continue to gain momentum.

As a parent of a gay child in Canada, I can breath easy that my daughter will have all rights, options and choices for family and marriage available to her ... just as it should be for all members of society. Marriage has evolved over the ages and it wasn't so long ago that interracial marriages were illegal. I know there will come a day when Americans will enjoy the same liberties as Canadians. My heart breaks for those loving couples wanting all the rights and privileges of marriage who are living in States that do not provide this option. Unfulfilled dreams, disheartened, and discouraged. But I know that nothing signifies hope like a rainbow ... and as a proud mother, I know it will prevail.
The Rainbow Connection
Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side
Rainbow's are visions, they're only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide
So we've been told and some chose to believe it
But I know they're wrong - wait and see
Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish
would be heard and answered,
When wished on the morning star.
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it,
And look what it's done so far
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing?
What so we think we might see ...
Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me (the mother).

Kenny Ascher & Paul Williams

3 comments:

  1. bittertwinmomma.blogspot.com

    this seems to be a common topic lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a game of tag going on in blog land. I've tagged you. See my blog for details.

    More comments on past blog post to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the news item about this on TV. When will the bigots realise that a loving relationship between two people is all that matters, not their sex?

    ReplyDelete