Friday, May 8, 2009

Take my advice ... Kidlet

~ perseverance ~ or ~ We need a new screen!

Once my girls entered the workforce I found myself (in parental zeal) imparting little tidbits of advice that I had learned along the way. Usually lessons I learned the hard way. Advice on how to get a job; how to get ahead, how to be a superstar and rock at work; how to deal with work politics and difficult or awkward situations; and how to see the big picture. I was lucky to have learned many of these life lessons from my parents by working in our family owned businesses and was spared the embarrassment of being called out by a boss. Kidlet will be getting a summer job (pleeeze) soon so this post is for her ...

Do more than is expected
Forget the phrase "it's not my job". As my dad taught me, when you are being paid - you are being paid to be busy; when you finish the job you think you were hired to do, seek out more work or ask how else you can help.

Fight monotony by setting goals for yourself
When I worked in our family store and the time dragged on, I set a goal of trying to get a compliment from each customer. I smiled widely, I chatted pleasantly (to even the crustiest of customers), I tried to remember the wants of my regulars and have them ready for them by the time they reached the counter. I got addicted to hearing, "thank you dear, you've made my day". I kept a tally of each compliment and tried to beat it every night. (Thanks Mom for this one).

Make yourself indispensable
My dad taught me this one ... be the kind of employee that is truly missed when you are away. In my first real full time job I used to order the coffee, run errands, put money in parking meters for executives, and hand deliver the daily newspaper to the president with a post-it note happy face on it. I always asked him how his day was going. No job was too lowly and I filled every gap I could see. I delighted having the account execs asking where I had been and how much they missed me, after being off work a day or two. They depended on my for all the little comforts. As my dad said, if you can be away and not missed -- are you even necessary?

When you want out of a job you hate, be really great at it
When a job is difficult or just plain miserable, do it stupendously well and you won't have to do it for long. The trick is to get noticed -- and promoted! When I landed a job as a customer service rep for a nasty cable company answering 150 calls from angry, frustrated customers, I thought I was going to explode by the second day. I decided right then and there to be the best darn CSR they had -- I worked at answering the most calls and making the highest sales. Within 2 months management thought my talents were being wasted on the phones. Eureka!!

Create the job you want
Get in the door and after you perform the core function for which you are hired, fill in the job with tasks and other responsibilities that you are interested in or are good at, that aren't currently being done (well). Round out the job, develop it and add value. See first point - do more than is expected. You can create the job you want and then they hire someone else to sweep!

OK Kidlet -- here are five tips to start with. Get the resume updated and we can work on getting that first job. Benzie needs expensive gas!

2 comments:

  1. There were a lot of us "kidlets" that you taught those life lessons to! Thanks for being such a great mentor and teach. Passing these on to my own kidlet.

    Have a great weekend!
    Love Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great advice!! We should post this up at work!!

    ReplyDelete