Monday, August 17, 2009

Time Traveling -- In My Dreams

I saw the movie The Time Traveler's Wife with my sister and daughters over the weekend. The story is based on a romantic notion -- being able to travel through time to visit people we love - from years before, and years into the future. The main character is able to get to know his wife as a small child and then visit his unborn child.

It got me thinking ... if I could travel in time -- either forward or back to some other place and space in my life, what would I choose?

Sometimes I have had dreams - that are so very vivid - of me as a child with my mother. I can see us now, walking in the cold forest, both of us bundled in our red, hooded coats - hers trimmed in black, and mine in white.

After my mom passed I had many dreams in which I would be so delighted to see and hear her voice once again. I would tell her how much I missed her and how we were all managing without her. She would mostly smile but I could feel for a few moments, her quiet, calm demeanor. When I awake from a night of these dreams, I am as satisfied and refreshed as if I had visited with her in person.

I can't travel in time, but I have my wonderful dreams to sustain me and enrich my life - and for now, that will have to do.

2 comments:

  1. I have a few memories of me with my mother that everyone says I shouldn't be able to remember. I was only 2 at the time when one took place. The Time Traveler's Wife brought precious memories like those to my mind as well. :) I've only read the book, but I'm very excited to see the movie. I can't wait to see what the differences are.

    If you haven't read the book, it's one of my favorites, and I highly reccomend it. But be prepared: bring a box of tissues. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can still hear your Mother's voice and laugh in my head. It was so unique, at least for me. I have such fond memories of growing up with you all. Memories really do last a lifetime.
    "A" Eastcoast Cuz

    ReplyDelete