Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy new year! Confused? It's Labour Day isn't it?

The first day of school (day after Labour Day) for me has always been the start of a new year, even more so than January 1st. It's been alot of years since I've been in school, and I only have one kidlet at home going tomorrow, but to this day my senses queue for that special first day. Labour Day truly marks the end of summer and the beginning of a fresh start - a clean slate. My inner guidance system automatically quickens my pace, kicks it up a notch and the lazy, laid back vacation vibe is instantly shed.

September is a memory soup ... anticipation butterflies fluttering in my tummy; the aroma of fresh paper and packaging ink from brand new pencil crayons and duotangs; new shoes; clean hair and that all important special outfit for first impressions. I mirrored these impressions every year, on the eve of my first day at university and the first day of anything throughout my life. The first day on a new job still brings me right back to the first day of school feelings.

Tomorrow my last kidlet will begin her last year of high school. Her mom won't be there to get her to pose for that first day photo. I won't pack her a little lunch, kiss her cheek and send her on her way with her little backpack. No -- Kidlet is a big girl now - a young adult. And part of me is mourning the end of an era - but still, the start of a brand new year ...

Happy new year!

2 comments:

  1. I also think of the school year as the start of a new year! I always loved getting new clothes, new school supplies and the works! I grew up to be a teacher and got the same butterflies again. I am currently not teaching this year as the district I was working in suffered budget cuts and not being tenured I was back on the job market. But I have found a job to occupy my time (lucky I know) and I will be back in the classroom at some point. I'm new to the blogging world and happened upon yours by chance while viewing carrotspeak. Have a great "New Year" and tell your kidlet to enjoy this last year of high school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I've always measured time in school terms rather than calendar years. Things make more sense that way...they line up in a much more familiar sequence. ;)

    ReplyDelete