Friday, October 2, 2009

Women for Women ... a Sisterhood


It was overdue and today, I finally did it. I got me another sister!  After following Women for Women International for months now on Facebook, and reading the field blog, today I finally took action and signed up to sponsor a woman. Women for Women International helps women in war-torn regions  rebuild their lives by providing  financial and emotional aid, job-skills training, rights education and small business assistance.

When you go to the website and learn about the residual damage  and suffering that war causes and the hardships of the women who survive, you may find your throat tightening, and your eyes welling up. I dare you to watch a 5 minute video showing the horrific atrocities and burdens our sisters around the world shoulder - and not weep.  It is both overwhelming and inspiring. It reminded me of the bounty and abundance I have in my own life and I wanted to reach out and not only ease the pain of these resilient, strong women, but also connect with them. I have something to share, and even more to learn.

I should receive my packet from WFW any day and then I will know the face of the "sister" I am sponsoring. I can't wait to start. I have sisters and daughters and the opportunity to support women in need speaks to me.

This was the perfect way to bring light to this dreary, rainy, damp day. I am excited but more importantly, it has me thinking about what else I could do - what other changes I could make to have a positive impact on humankind and the planet.

Stay tuned and I'll introduce you to her when I meet her myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment