Friday, February 12, 2010

Got the Fever

I've got the fever ... Olympic Fever. My Canadian Spirit is bursting out of my skin. I love it!  I just watched the final leg of the Olympic torch make its way to its resting place in Vancouver until the opening ceremonies that will be starting in a few hours. My modest, restrained  Canadian sensibility is totally in check and I am embracing the Olympic cyclone with wild abandon.

For the next few weeks it will be all things Olympic. For the next few weeks we can resurrect our national pride, put on our FAN faces and watch the world compete. For the next few weeks we will witness the pinnacle of achievement and the agony of defeat. We will watch as one world - and  immerse ourselves in a few weeks of positive.

It couldn't have come at a better time -- we are souls battered by the fatigues of a long winter, and the barrage of tragedies that have befallen our brothers and sisters around the planet. And that doesn't mean we'll forget our friends in Haiti ... we'll keep them close in our heart and keep a watchful eye.
We won't forget you, I promise.

So on the night of the opening of this 2010 Olympics, I wish you all a wonderful weekend -- and all of the national spirit you can muster. And if aren't interested, don't get too close. Olympic Spirit is contagious ... and I got the fever!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Olypmics too! My sister was in Vancouver a few months ago and bought me a bunch of Olympic stuff and I LOVE it. I will always love the Barcelona Olympics the most though - for some reason they seemed magical to me that year. And the Freddie Mercury song Barcelona is still one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete