Monday, March 29, 2010

What I've Learned in the First Fifty

Today on my 50th birthday I made an inventory of things I've learned and what I know to be true. So in the spirit of sharing ....

Everyone has a story worth hearing. Listen.

We are not all born equal. Some are born more fortunate; others with liabilities.

Those who have, should share with those who don't.

Always part ways as if you are saying goodbye for the last time. Some day it will be.

Don't go to sleep on  a bad note. Kiss and make up.

Our life is a result of every choice we have ever made - and some others that have been made for us.

We are responsible for creating the life we want to live.

The best way to instil self confidence in children is to let go ... and show them that you trust them to make the right or best decision ... even when we know differently.

As a parent my job is not to make my kid's lives easy, devoid of pain and suffering, but rather, to teach them how to handle - and seek the lesson in - each adversity.

I am a spiritual being living a human experience.

I am living to evolve into the best possible version of myself.

Do more and give more than is expected - without being asked.

Empathy is powerful. Slip into the shoes of the person you are trying to understand.

Have the means and obtain skills to be self sufficient. It is liberating.

Expect the best. Optimism is energizing.

Thoughts materialize so be mindful of what you think. Be careful what you wish for.

Worrying is completely non-productive; a waste of time!

Say I love you to the people you love. Say it every day.

Leave things better than you found them ... the earth, relationships, public washrooms ...

Those lines around my mouth and eyes tell the world I have laughed and smiled alot.

It is an honour to take care of the people we love.

When people need you the most, it is rarely convenient.

Nothing says I love you like dinner!

Have dreams and share them without the worry if they will come true or not.

Family is forever. Nurture it.

A crowded dinner table is the ultimate abundance.

Life is richer with someone to share it with.

I don't need alot of friends, just a few true ones.

Write a note in the card - not just your name.

You will never regret the special things you do with and for others - but you may regret not doing them.

Be with someone because you want them, not because you need them.

Our love for our children has to be greater than any anger, resentment or dislike we may have, and we must conduct ourselves accordingly.

Our kids don't need another friend - they need a parent, and boundaries.

Don't leave the good thoughts left unsaid -- tell people why they are important to you and the impact they have on your life.

Put as much - or more - effort into caring for your inner self as you do into your outer beauty.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Jesus was on to something ...

Live life consciously, in the now.

Baking soda is the miracle ingredient. Buy it in bulk and use it for everything ... cleaning, laundry, in the fridge, on the carpet, in the sneakers and on your face as an exfoliant.

When you give, or do a good deed - do so freely without expectation.

When you give, you get back more than you give.

Don't burn bridges.

Green food is good for you!

Put your moisturizer on while your face is still damp.

Respect your elders and learn from them. They have lessons to share that we need to learn.

The best way to learn more about who your parents and grandparents really are, is to ask them to tell you their love story.

Ask yourself what you would do, what changes you would make if you knew you had only months to live -- then do it.

We can't expect our children to achieve that which we couldn't. They have their own destiny to fulfill.

There are worse things than dying.

We spend the majority of our waking hours on the job; make a point to laugh and have fun.

It's okay to feel pain and grief. We have to go through it - to get through it.

Don't lend money you can't afford not to have paid back.

Don't spend money you don't have. Only use a credit card if you can pay it off at the end of the month.

Remember there are three parts to a proper apology: Acknowledgement (what you did and why), Apology (I'm sorry), Reconciliation (what you are going to do differently so you don't repeat the demeanor).

The most powerful thing you can say to your child as you drop them off is "I know you will make good choices".

We have to be the change we want to see. Gandhi knew what he was talking about.

The intention with which you do something is as important as what you do.

Celebrate, celebrate, celebrate! Find reasons to celebrate and people to celebrate with. This tunes us to a "postive" channel, looking to create happy occasions which will become memories we will cherish and recall over and over again.

And on that note, I am excited to be 50.  I am healthy, loved, and want for nothing. I am privileged and grateful for every year of life that I have had. I know I still have lots to learn so God willing I will have another year to continue my evolution. I am a work in progress and so far, life has been great! Cheers!

9 comments:

  1. I celebrate with you! Many happy returns of your birthday, and here's to the next 50!!
    Your post is full of truths we could all do to remember - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyn - do I have your email address? If so, I can't find where I filed it! Can you contact me direct so's I can discover where I put you? LOL! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a WONDERFUL list of things you've learned!!! I want to adopt it!!! Happy, happy Birthday, dear Lyn!! You are simply an amazing lady! And truly a special gift to this world!! Love you, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful list.
    And I really hope you have a lovely 50th Birthday.
    And I am pleased to know you cause I think your fab!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. DIH,
    My heart is always deeply warmed when I read in print what your heart so lovingly carries..... You have learned alot in 'the first fifty' -- can't wait to see what the next 'brilliant years' shine our way ..

    Luv ya,
    MIH
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy Birthday Lyn! I'm glad to have met the wonderful woman who posts these wonderful thoughts!
    cuz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to all of you for your very kind comments. The world becomes a smaller place when we make these special connections. I am one lucky woman! And thanks MIH (Mother-in-heart) for still following me!

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful how much you learn over an extended period of time. When you reach the age of fifty, you look back and realise, heck, I've had some good times and bad times.
    Although, for me, it's been mostly bad, I do not regret anything. I've lived by that motto for as long as I can remember. Pain comes and goes but if you regret something it will haunt you forever.
    Thank you for sharing all you've learnt. It just reminds me that although life can be...unpleasant, it's better spent fully than by sitting on the sidelines.

    ~Sel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Lyn! Enjoy to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete