Thursday, March 17, 2011

Give a Little More

 
The events of the last week have been eye opening and heart breaking. Humankind is being tested on all fronts, stretched taut across a world with growing NEED. Many in the world are suffering, mourning, and fighting to survive. Today there are more than yesterday. I, along with the others who are safe, well and have, are being challenged to help, share and rescue. It is a test indeed and I know that if we can accept it and exert our collective will, we can help heal that which is broken in our human family.

My pledge to “give a little” every week has shifted my focus. In seeking out “giving” opportunities, I feel as though I am participating more fully in the world around me; the projects I am learning about are inspiring me and I feel hopeful. It’s all good.

This week I donated through Global Giving to the Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project. I have been following Jackson, the org's Founder & Exec Director on Twitter (@twejaka) for months now, learning about their priorities and their passions. It hits my hot spots -- education, Africa, sustainability, children. With over 2.2 million children in Uganda orphaned by the AIDS pandemic, this organization takes a holistic and sustainable approach by providing free education and vital services to orphans and vulnerable children in rural Uganda. It runs 2 free primary schools for 359 children that provide meals, clothes, medical care, vocational training, community potable water, and a HIV/AIDS prevention program. They also support 48 students through secondary school. Nyaka fights poverty by empowering these kids, especially girls, through free, quality education, health care, and basic needs. By educating the most vulnerable and needy they hope to reduce systemic poverty in their families by creating community-focused businesses, jobs, and social institutions.

I went online to Global Giving to donate. The minimum amount was $10 so I gave a little more than planned. but I can see how this philanthropy works ... the more you learn, the more you want to give. And the funny thing is, you don't miss a thing.

I have to give ongoing props to Wendy Smith for her inspiring book, Give a Little. Give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment