Friday, June 17, 2011

Give a Little So She Can Be the First

Girl talk; girl power; girls everywhere – in the media – or so it seems. And it’s about time! The chatter and coverage has largely to do with the challenges and issues facing girls (and women) around the planet, and “the lack of …”

It's hard to fathom how many girls are lacking the essentials to a healthy, safe productive life, such as:
• access to education
• accessible, clean water (which directly impacts their access to education)
• health and maternal care
• sanitation

She’s the First is helping girls worldwide be first in their family to graduate from school. If I had been on time with my Thursday "Give a Little", it would have been in time for The Day of the African Child. I donated to the Girls Who Rock $11 for the Class 2011 campaign who are taking up the challenge to help sponsor 42 girls in Uganda “be the first”.

As a mother of three daughters, I can’t help feeling that purely by the luck of birthplace, my girls enjoy a life of abundance and opportunity, without physical suffering. I want that for everyone – and especially those who are marginalized by their gender and geographic placement. And that's why I used to start every morning with my girls, arms raised in a group cheer "w o m e n     p o w e r ", and that's why I gave a little...
Read about my Thursday's Give a Little Challenge and other posts. I have to give ongoing props to Wendy Smith for her inspiring book, Give a Little. Consider giving it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment