Thursday, August 11, 2011

Musing and Mantras

Take the best, and leave the rest.

This is one of the mantras I live by - whether it be advice, a complicated relationship, situation or a grisly piece of meat! Perfection can be elusive; I have found it is better to develop a reflex of extracting and focusing on the the "best" rather than that which is not desirable.

I thought of this mantra when I pulled out the block of cheese and it had mould on it. I hacked off the nasty bits and ate the rest. And you know what? I didn't die.

I was reminded of this when I was reading A Course in Miracles; I loved the principles but was alienated by the constant reference to Jesus Christ (in places it didn't seem to fit). I mentally replaced the references with God and pulled the spiritual messages out. And it was uplifting.

I deployed this approach with our furball Fritz. I overlook his yappy barking at invisible intruders, his inability to respond to any command other than "sit" (only if I am dangling a treat in front of him), and the fact that he hogs half the bed. Instead I choose to focus on his unconditional love and the sloppy licks he so generously bestows when I walk through the door at the end of the day.

And I hope you do this when you read my blog .... take the best, and leave the rest!


No comments:

Post a Comment