Saturday, November 12, 2011

Tradition of Remembrance


It's become a personal tradition. I get Remembrance Day off at work, so for the past five years I have used the day as it was intended. I, along with so many others in my community, make my way down to our local cenotaph. There is an eerie silence - save the crunching of dead leaves - that hangs in the air as people walk the sidewalks leading to the park. We come in a varieties - white headed, bent elders with hints of elegance and pride in posture shuffling along, young parents with kidlets in tow, service personnel from all branches, multi generational families walking arm in arm, and lots of dogs.

It was a prophetic event. The day was gray and dismal - typical for November in these parts. Bystanders pulled their coats tightly around them and pulled scarves over their faces to shield from the wind. The pastor opened the ceremony with a prayer and introduced the trumpeter who would play The Last Post. As the first melancholy note  sounded, the sun burst through the clouds, shining a spotlight on the band ensemble - so bright, I could barely take a picture. And as he played the final few bars, the sun disappeared as quickly as it came, and tiny, misty tears fell from heaven.

It seemed that the deeds and sacrifices of our service people were being remembered by all, everywhere.


Last Post










Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, my friend. My favorite photo is the one of the gloved hands behind the red coat. Bless your heart for taking part in the remembrance and publicizing it. I am totally 110% behind our vets, too. My dad was in D-Day and my grandpa fought in the trenches of France. I even have a g-g-g-grandpa who was in the Civl War! Every day is Veterans Day at my house. Thanks for a super blog.

    ReplyDelete