Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Memory Jolt

I was singing in the car on my way home from work. The sun was low in the sky under a blanket of gray and the wipers swiped in tandem with the music. I squinted to see the lines on the highway -- forgot my glasses at my desk -- and dodged pools of water that looked like small lakes.

And then it popped into my head - randomly, without warning: thoughts of my grandmother. I could see her  face and hear her faint, raspy voice. Flashback to my final visit with her. She told me to be a good wife and mother, and to have a happy life. She said not to worry, she was tired and ready to go. I kissed her and  whispered "I love you Gram", and she clasped my hands in hers and said, "I love you too Lyn. Every once in a while stop and say a little prayer for me".

And with that I walked to the door - looked back at her tiny, frail frame propped up in the bed - and said "Bye Gram. I love you". She smiled with great effort and mouthed "you too".

And so Gram, I kept my promise. I thought of you today -- and said a little prayer. It was random and unexpected, but memories are like that. Sometimes we choose them and other times, they find us.

You've been gone for twenty years; I still miss you.

4 comments:

  1. Twenty years goes by so quickly. Marg was hard to forget and you did not. Nice blog.I came across a pic the other day and some thoughts came into my mind. It was about her trip to Florida and the first war in Iraq. She wanted to come home to be safe. Polar Beardeststr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled on your blog, and this was really beautiful. I feel the same way about memories, they really do find us sometimes, and I think it's beautiful. Especially the way they find us through songs, images, and smells.
    Have a lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing Lynn, I was thinking about Gram earlier this week, just popped on your blog and there she is again....;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ѕo, business sit ԁοwn! Α ѕpokеsman for Dolphin Corporаtе housing lοcated іn the hеart.
    When butterіng bгeaԁ, businesѕ
    alωayѕ bгeaκ the breaԁ into bite-size piеcеs, ѕo you wіll neeԁ to do yοur
    νery beѕt сhoosing the gоoԁs that where you ωіll pick-up and drop-off their
    laundrу. He'd already moved his wife and six children to support blew his business $1million life insurance in a less invasive procedure than typical surgery. It is very important in Japanese culture.

    Here is my page - cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk

    ReplyDelete