Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Have a Heart

Valentine's Day has never been a huge deal for hubby and I -- well, maybe not since the first one we shared, when we looked for any excuse to impress one another. These days we don't like being  hostage to Hallmark and pretty much wing it on a year by year basis. There was the year hubby made me breakfast "to go" - complete with heart shaped toast (hand cut); and then the time he researched on the Internet how to make tissue paper red roses; and then of course one of the best -- when he turned his skills inward and developed a customized electronic Valentine's Day card complete with animation, music and pictures. Did I say that we didn't care about VDay?

This year's version was a funny card with a sweet message tucked inside my work tote. When I spotted it there this morning as I was about to fly out the door, I couldn't contain myself, "cr@p!" I forgot completely about VDay. As I compiled a mental list of why it was ok to forget -- we don't care about it anyway -- I frantically searched for a pen that worked why do we keep pens that don't work??? and used the envelope from his card to scribble out my own version of romantic. I think I may have used too many hearts and happy faces, and xxx's and ooo's but what the heck - it was a VDay message.

But at the end of the day, I stand by my claim that expressing love, doing those dopey mine, cute his little gestures, and making the one you love feel special, is something that we should try to do in our daily lives together regardless of the Hallmark holiday.

That being said, I bought hubby a chocolate cupcake and tried to earn back some brownie points. Chocolate makes him very happy! And nothing says I love you like chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. oh wow! you got a new camera, how exciting! and your girl had birthday, happy belated to her and to you too mama. love her gift to you. that's awesome lyn.

    i like your vday post too, thats kind of how my husband and i go.
    xx lori

    ReplyDelete