Thursday, June 14, 2012

Getting Back to Giving Back: Redefine Possible

Photo credit: Free the Children http://www.freethechildren.com/redefinepossible/
It's been too long, but I will save the lament. Looking forward only - and recommitting to giving thoughtfully, productively, every week. I call it my "give a little" initiative inspired by Wendy Smith, author of a book by the same name.

These posts are never popular with my readers; not surprising with the daily barrages of "asks" that most face, and the cause-weariness from the infinite number of natural disasters, conflicts, and other needs that demand our attention. However I am going to push through and consider these weekly posts little gifts I am giving to myself, and spreading the love.

This week I am donating $10 to one of my favourite causes: Free the Children; and more specifically to support the challenge that Spencer West, a truly inspiring individual is undertaking. Spencer stands two feet, ten inches tall; he is missing the lower half of his body. And to show all of us that we are stronger than we know, and have greatness inside us - we need only dig deep - he is climbing Mount Kilamanjaro. He is calling his challenge REDEFINE POSSIBLE. As I write this he is into day 2 of his quest. The fact that he has set his sights on such a monumental goal and is willing to risk failure to achieve something great - and raise funds for a cause that he lives to support - is enough. It is, afterall, not about the destination - but rather, all about the journey.

Good luck Spencer!  Follow his climb.
Photo credit: Free the Children http://www.freethechildren.com/redefinepossible/

Read about my weekly Give a Little challenge and other posts. I have to give ongoing props to Wendy Smith for her inspiring book, Give a Little. Consider giving it a read.

1 comment:

  1. Really? These posts aren't popular? I love reading about the different charities you are donating too. There are so many good ones out there and it's good to learn about a few more. Happy Giving!

    ReplyDelete