Thursday, June 21, 2012

Slow Lane

I was ready well ahead of schedule this morning -- you won't hear me say that too often. The hair went well, there was nothing to iron, and nothing that needed shaving. Before I knew it I was honking the horn as I passed my parents' place twenty minutes earlier than usual.

As I merged onto the highway, I decided to stay in the slow lane. There was no need to hurry, I wasn't feeling particulary rushed, and I thought it would be kinda nice to save some gas. So I locked in at 100 kilometres an hour and eased back into my seat. I smiled politely at the wild-eyed crazies who sped past me, tossing me nasty glares and hand gestures as they did so. I cranked up the radio a little louder, switched the station from the commute traffic report to a country music station, and sang my heart out for the 30 kms to work. And I daresay I sounded great!

And that is where I am right now in my life; I have happily moved over from the fast lane - speeding, passing and barely seeing little but the road in front - content to enjoy the view and relaxed pace of the slow lane. Life is short as it is; why would I want to race to the finish line?

There was a majestic hawk soaring in the sky; the sunrise reflected in my rear view mirror and with every mile, I could feel my shoulders drop a little lower and my stress ease. I started my day off on a happy country note. And I just decided that it's going to be a really good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment