Monday, June 24, 2013

Decked Out

At the first sign of spring my thoughts wander up north, and visions of our cottage dance in my head. The lake; the sacred place of peace; our tranquility in the trees. Hubby and I share a love of nature, the nutty fragrance of pine in the nostrils and our winged, clawed and pawed neighbours with whom we share our waterfront.

We bit the bullet this year and replaced the crumbling facade of a deck that wrapped around our cottage. We paid a hefty price -- not just financially -- but in time. We missed out on the six weeks at the lake during which our piece of paradise was reduced to a construction site.

I kept the faith; good things are worth the wait. It did not disappoint. Jim was the elfin-like local contractor we entrusted our vision with. A roughly hand drawn sketch, a quick chat and a deposit and he was off to the races. He problem solved, improvised and enhanced - and of course went over budget. When I had asked him on the phone how much above the quote the final costs were, he replied, "you take a look at it for yourself - and then you tell me."

We bolted from the car and down the pathway to see the results of Jim's labour. At first glimpse of the solid wooden structure, I was ecstatic. We rounded the corner of the cottage and the forest came pouring in. I did a happy dance for the whole world to see. It was the first time in my life that I didn't wince at or begrudge an overspend. The glass panels that edge the deck provide a wide open vista of the lake and the forest that surrounds us.

I predict many summers of enjoyment from the lofty perch in the trees, close to the birds and away from the fray. The novelty hasn't worn off. I am fortunate - and I know it. And for that, I am ever grateful.











1 comment: