Saturday, June 14, 2014

Post Election Pride

I left work extra late Thursday and it was only when I was whipping down the highway that I remembered it was election day -- AND I ONLY HAD 40 MINUTES UNTIL THE POLLS CLOSED. I panicked. I knew I had to get there - every vote counts - absolutely. Never mind that I am addicted to the rush I get from exercising my democratic right.

I made it with minutes to spare, and then raced home to watch the results. The opinion polls had all three parties in a dead heat. But they were dead wrong. My progressive, inclusive province of Ontario elected the first woman premier in Ontario . And by the way, she's a married gay woman. Another first. And one of the reasons I love where I live; we are an inclusive society where the rainbow flag flies high, where diversity is celebrated and everyone is invited to the table.

Here's to democracy. Optimism is alive and well in Ontario and for that I am very grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment